Friday, October 9, 2009

What Is the Point of College?

Let's see, I made a bet with our floor Barnabas (sort of a Bible study leader, nothing really more) that I could get straight A's this first semester. He was convinced that almost all straight A students in high school come to college and then turn into C students, or B students. Maybe lower.

I thought it preposterous, as all in all there may be more work but at the same time there is more free time and freedom to choose when to do this work.

Then it occurred to me some time later: what if these students who got all A's before aren't motivated? What drives people to get good grades? For the sake of bragging rights? To look smart? Maybe some people (heaven forbid) try.

I think many people do not follow the third reason, and that is what my Barnabas saw: unmotivated people simply seeking to please their social desires and find their place and be content with it in society. Looking brainy isn't cool, after all. It makes some people think you're a snooty know-it-all. But guess what? Those people who assume said things about you for being smart are probably just jealous they're not motivated themselves.

I encourage all, no matter the academic background, to not throw away your education. It's infuriating to see people blow off college and treat it more like a time to meet cute girls or guys and attend 'cool' parties. When you're forty, are you really going to look back and remember all of the pointless parties you went to, all of the shallow people you met, all the stupid things you did, or are you going to be nice and occupied recalling that which you studied for and are applying in your successful life thanks to taking college seriously?

Since I'm in a rush in writing this, pardon any small mistakes I might have made. I have to attend this session with our Resident Director about study habits. Do I really need to go to this..? Oh well. Might as well. Maybe it'll further motivate me to continue in my habits of not procrastinating. Who else wants to jump in the boat, not to just 'be' smart, but to actually get something out of college?

No comments:

Post a Comment